Cooler boxes are essential for any great camping trip! The GO OUT guide to coolers.
The cooler box is an essential piece of kit for any summer time camping trip but depending on the number of people and nights staying the size and type that best suits your trip can be wildly different.
At the GO OUT JAMBOREE in Aril, I visited a number of cool campsites to get the scoop on what cooler boxes experienced campers are using.
A small hard cooler for solo camping!
- ■ in the case of Mr Hayabusa（2 days 1 nights／Solo camp ）
- Using cooler box：YETI／Roadie 20
Mr Hayabusa is using a small hard cooler from Yeti called the “Roadie 20” (19L capacity). This is perfect for an all in one camping site that has a dedicated living space and dome shaped shelter.
By setting the cooler box on top of a wooden stand you can offset the heat produced from the ground to maximize its cooling potential as well as creating additional storage space underneath. Raising the height also makes it easier to access the contents.
If you store frozen goods along with drinks they will acts as a refrigerant and can then be thawed naturally will helping to keep the other contents cool. This is an effective strategy for one nights camping.
Yeti’s Roadie 20 is small sized with dimensions of 36.8cm x 50.8cm x 34.1cm but has about 19L capacity which equates to about 30 350ml bottles so it’s perfectly suitable for short term or solo camping trips. Mr Hayabusa recommends that for trips of two nights or more he brings an additional 20L soft cooler (Seattle Sports 23QT).
Hard coolers can also be used as makeshift tables or chairs by taking advantage of their rugged shape and exterior.
3 hard coolers with a capacity of 20L or less that are perfect for solo camping.
■ORCA Coolers／Mossy Oak Blades
20 Quart -MOSSY OAK BLADES Tan-（19L） ¥64800
ORCA Coolers are a brand founded in Tennessee and first came to Japanese shores in 2018. It has excellent durability to the rotomold (rotational molding) used during production, high cooling capacity and versatility thanks to the ability to attach pouches and drink holders to the external sides. The new color variant Mossy Oak has been on sale since the Spring of 2019.
ORCA Coolers http://orcacoolers.jp
Elite Cooler 20QT（19L） ¥31320
Endorsed by all manner of professionals from US forces to photographers, US based Pelican’s hard cooler comes well recommended. Although its capacity is relatively small at about 19L, it has a 2inch polyurethane layer that can keep contents chilled for up to 5 days. It also has odor inhibiting properties to prevent wild animals such as bears from detecting the food and approaching the campsite.
JACK & MARIE https://jackandmarie-store.com/c/79/sort/category/disp/70
Cooler Box 15.1L ¥12744
This is Stanley’s classic model 15.1L cooler box. A number of new colors such as red and white were added to the classic line up in 2018. Cooling insulation is installed not only in the main body but also on the top lid so that any drinking bottles stored under the rubbing banding while being sufficiently cooled as well. You can store 500ml pet bottles vertically or 2L bottles horizontally.
Family camping trips of 2 days and 3 nights are more effective using hard and soft equipment.
- ■ in the case of Nishikubo Family（3 days 2 nights／Family camp with 3 people ）
- Using cooler box：Coleman／54QT , AO Coolers／24
This is Nishikubo’s large campsite for a family of 3 using a tent in tent kangaroo style tent set up with a tarp plus 2 popular soft AO coolers of about 23L capacity.
For food storage a hard steel cooler is used. This can hold contents of up to 51L so it is perfectly suitable for family camping trips of 3 days.
The hard cooler has a higher cooling capacity than the soft variety and is therefore suitable for storing perishable food items. The sturdy hard body designed is also great for transporting pre prepared or food that is easily squashed or damaged.
The soft AO coolers on the other hand are used for storing drinks. The cooling capacity is excellent due to the 1.9cm thick insulation material on the inside and the storage capacity can be further increased by removing the side buckles. Plastic bottles of up to 2L in volume can be easily stored vertically.
For 3 day family camping trips you are going to need quite a large amount of food and drink, but using a set up similar to this site with soft coolers used a sub cooler you will have plenty of provisions and a more enjoyable camping experience.
Most soft coolers can be stored compactly once empty so are easy to either transport home or to take to the nearest store to fill up on more food and drinks. This is the most efficient use of a sub cooler.
2 hard coolers of 50L capacity for family camping.
■CHUMS／Steel Cooler Box
Steel Cooler Box 54L ¥25704
The “Steel Box Cooler 54L” from CHUMS with its vibrant color and impactful logo is an excellent large size cooler for family camping trips. It also features urethane foam injection for excellent cooling capacity and a bottle opening on the front and drainage on the back.
ORION 55L ¥96120
Orion Coolers are developed for people seeking real adventure. This high end hard cooler features 5cm thick insulation for extraordinary cooling potential as well as a resilient and robust frame which makes it easily usable as a stool or table. The tie dye pattern is perfect for summer festival camping.
STAR CORP https://www.star-corp.co.jp/
3 lightweight easy to carry soft coolers.
■SEATTLE SPORTS／Soft Cooler
SOFT COOLER 23Qt ¥10044 ／40Qt ¥11880 ／
12Qt ¥7452／ 25QT ¥10260
The soft cooler range from SEATTLE SPORTS has fast become a favorite among campers. The outside layer is 19oz vinyl while the inner lining uses aluminum material with special cold insulation properties. After using or when empty they can be easily compacted and stored for convenient transportation.
FREEZY10 ¥20520／FREEZY20 ¥28080
This is the first soft cooler box from long time Seattle based brand COMFY OUTDOOR GARMENT. The seamless design is achieved by using ultrasonic manufacturing methods without sewing to create a modern and aesthetically clean design. The large opening is synonymous with the brands other designs and gives it a unique appeal.
YETI／Hopper Flip 18
HOPPER FLIP 18 ¥48384
This soft cooler from YETI has cooling capacity comparable to that of a hard cooler. Similarly to popular hard cooler designs it has tight sealing and water resistant zippers to prevent fluid leakage which is a common complaint with soft coolers. It is also very durable due to the use of polyurethane coated extra tough nylon fabrics.
Choosing a cooler box for the ultimate camping experience!
Over the 2 days of conducting interviews with different solo and family campers across 10 different camp sites, the variety and size of coolers used from hard to soft types while maintaining a fashionable atmosphere highlights the important of choosing the right cooler to fit your camping experience. Utilizing both hard and soft styles in the same camp site also seems to be increasing popular.
Make sure to do your research and to choose the right type of cooler to suit your camping needs.
- Maximizing the fun of a bonfire! Here are 10 pieces of bonfire gear you need to check out!
- The are many different ways to enjoy a bonfire, such as warming up at the end of a cold day, cooking, or just starin...
GEAR4 years ago
- A must-see triple collaboration with the iron tops that Chums is proud of, evolved by Natal Design and Burlap Outfitters!
- The prestigious CHUMS born in the United States, NATAL DESIGN, which is highly regarded for its unique world view, a...
FASHION3 years ago
- Top 5 fashionable cooler boxes to give your camping gear the edge!
- The cooler box is an essential item for any camp site so for this article we want to focus on not just the function but ...
GEAR4 years ago
- It’s like a mobile kitche! Introducing a multifunctional cooler box with wheels from Output Life.
- OUTPUT LIFE, which produces unique and high-quality outdoor furniture, have collaborated with the new cooler box brand "...
GEAR2 years ago
- New vest project combining comfort and style. A ground breaking hybrid work with a fused backpack.
- Outdoor fashion is being embraced as a strong sense of style these days. But thanks to that, I'm tired of seeing ordinar...
GEAR3 years ago
- To commemorate the 40th anniversary of Chums, a collaboration with a sake brewery in Kochi! A special set of sake and sake cups is now on sale!
- "CHUMS" combines the high functionality of outdoor specifications with pop style design that gives their items an extra ...
FOOD5 months ago
- Improve your Fall-Winter styling skills! 5 popular outwear pieces from the Chums store in Omotesando.
- Chums are developing a variety of new products for this Fall/Winter season. Of these, the most notable at this time ...
FASHION4 years ago
- A Japan only, limited edition item from Stanley that reproduces vintage colors.
- STANLEY was founded in Massachusetts, USA in 1913 as a pioneer brand of thermos bottles. Here we will introduce the Japa...
GEAR3 months ago
- BRIEFING develops a new original outdoor collection! Starting with 5 types of outdoor storage gear that make use of tradition.
- "BRIEFING", which is about to release a collaboration collection with "STANLEY", will also release outdoor gear as p...
GEAR1 year ago
- Nanga’s collaboration gear is always one to watch! Bold updates to classic items from brands such as Stanley and Milestone!
- As a leading down company that creates gear such as sleeping bags, "NANGA", has a long established history of qualit...
GEAR2 years ago
- 12 functional and fashionable items that make your indoor life more enjoyable.
- I think that many people have probably redecorated their rooms as they spend more time at home during the current pandem...
ROOM3 years ago
- Five new collaboration items from Stanley & Briefing are about to be released! Featuring a vivid red logo on solid black!
- "STANLEY", who are renowned and popular for their pints and bottles, and the outdoor luggage brand "BRIEFING" have c...
GEAR1 year ago
- Don’t miss out on the incredibly strong carry case by Pelican available exclusively at Beams!
- "BEAMS" lifestyle goods, stationery, and accessory design label "bPr BEAMS" has collaborated with the world-famous case ...
GEAR9 months ago
- Neighborhood launches a large collaboration collection with five popular brands. 9 must see items this season!
- Neighborhood’s collaborations with outdoor brands has now become an annual event. In addition to the sixth popula...
GEAR4 years ago
- An idea we never dreamt could happen! Discover a super innovative cooler box with a built-in speaker !!
- A good cooler box is indispensable for a summer spent outdoors. Many people like to spend time outside outside becau...
GEAR2 years ago
- Play outside in the garden or balcony! 6 outdoor toys for parents and children to play with!
- Recently it has become more popular to spend time in your garden or on your veranda at home. It's a good idea to line up...
ROOM3 years ago
- Coleman x URBS’s popular military-like collaboration gear is back with greater volume!
- Introducing a military-like exclusive color from Coleman × Urban Research, which was originally released in 2019 and att...
GEAR3 years ago
- The latest collaboration collection from BEAMS x Coleman contains 5 items unified with an orange detail!
- In 2021, a collaboration between BEAMS and Coleman has arrived. BEAMS' corporate color "orange", which was lightly u...
GEAR3 years ago
- Collaboration items featuring hand-drawn logos from Stanley are now on sale in Japan!
- "Quencher H2.0 Naijel Graph," is a collaboration model between "STANLEY" and artist NAIJEL GRAPH, who creates illustrati...
GEAR2 months ago
- A Spring collaboration collection between Chums and artist Koichiro Takagi with eye catching emboridery.
- This collaboration from American outdoor brand up-and-coming artist Koichiro Takagi has been dubbed the "BOYS STITCH...
FASHION2 years ago